ArchiMate®, ERD, and UML® model data can be exported from Enterprise Studio to an Excel workbook using an Excel connection.
Before you start exporting data to Excel, make sure that the objects in your model do not have trailing spaces in their names. The same goes for the mapping names in your Excel connection (they represent the Excel worksheets). Any trailing spaces in names will be removed when the export is performed, causing a name difference between the objects and worksheets in Excel and the objects and mappings in Enterprise Studio. When performing an import again later, the name difference can cause all kinds of unwanted issues. For example, if object names do not match, new (unwanted) objects may be created upon the import (see also Importing model data from an Excel workbook).
- Select the Excel connection in the view, and then click
- Navigate to the location where the new Excel file must be saved, rename the file if desired, and click Save.
- A message appears announcing the export. Click OK to start the export.
- At the start of the export, the connection is validated first, and a progress bar of the validation is shown.
If validation is (partly) successful, export to Excel starts. If the export is completed, a message confirming this appears, and the generated Excel file with the exported data is opened. Click OK to close the message.
If validation fails, a message appears indicating that errors have been found in the definition of the connection.
- Click Yes to resolve the validation errors and warnings. After that, you can start the export again.
- Click No if you want to continue the export without resolving the errors. It may result in an incomplete data export or no export at all.
- Click Cancel if you want to cancel the export process.
In the generated Excel file, the exported data is available in one or more worksheets, depending on the number of mappings defined in the connection. The figure below shows an example of export results.
Example of an Excel workbook
If reporting has been activated in the connection properties, the Export to Excel window appears showing a summary of the export in a table.
Table with a summary of an export to Excel
ArchiMate® is a registered trademark of The Open Group.