Enterprise Studio supports importing BPMN model data in the following file formats: BPMN, Visio, and Lean.
Importing BPMN files
The Business Process Modeling Notation file format is a standard file format that can be used to exchange BPMN models between tools that create or interpret BPMN models.
When importing BPMN files, the most practical way to do this is to first export one or more existing BPMN models. After that, the necessary changes are made to the export file. Ensure that the structure of the file is not changed! The modified export file can be imported again.
Any references to other BPMN files that may be present in the import file, will not be included in the imported. An example: a call activity in the import file referring to a process in another BPMN file will be imported as a call activity but without the reference and the referenced element.
- In the model browser, select the model package in which you want to import the data from the BPMN file.
- On the BPMN tab, in the Import group, click BPMN.
- In the Import objects window, select the file to be imported, and click Open.
A new BPMN model containing the imported model data is added to the model package. The Messages window shows the steps performed during import.
Importing Visio files
This feature is only available in the BiZZdesign on-premise solution.
Visio XML export files can be imported in BPMN models. You can import Visio XML files with the extension .VDX or .VSDX (Visio 2013).
To be able to use Visio import, you first need to save your Visio model as an XML file. Visio will create a file with the extension .VDX or .VSDX. Also, within Visio, you need to use a (the standard) Visio scheme. This Visio scheme is like a metamodel specification.
If you save the file, this specification is added to the file. Enterprise Studio uses this specification to determine which types of objects must be created while importing. This transformation is defined in the file VisioToBPMNTypeMapping.xml in the folder Configuration\MetaModels\BPMN\ImportTypeMappings.
If you use a non-standard Visio scheme, you may need to update this transformation file. For this, please contact your application manager or BiZZdesign.
Please take note that the results of importing BPMN model data from Visio files are subject to limitations in Visio. Visio does not offer enough data to properly import BPMN model data, so the import results may not be 100% correct. Collaboration diagrams and other complex diagrams are not supported. The import function does allow to select these diagrams, but the results are not guaranteed to be complete or consistent.
- In the model browser, select the BPMN model in which you want to import the data from the Visio file.
- On the BPMN tab, in the Import group, click Visio.
- In the Import objects window, select the file you want to import and click Open.
- In the Choose Diagrams window, select the diagrams you want to import and select the diagrams and/or views they must be imported in.
- Optional: Transformation to use during import shows the transformation file that is used for the Visio import. If the correct file is located elsewhere, select the correct location and file.
- Optional: By default, all imported objects are added as new objects to the model they are imported in, even if objects (of the type) already exist in the model. New objects will be created with the same name as the existing ones, including a sequence number between brackets. If you select the Match names with existing objects check box, the imported objects will be matched with the existing objects. If an object (of the type) already exists in the model, it remains the same and the new object will not be imported.
- Click OK.
The Messages window shows the details of the import process.
Importing Lean models
Lean process models from a Lean project can be imported in BPMN. With the Lean import, the defined Lean process map and improved process map (if available) from the Lean model are imported as separate BPMN processes in a newly created BPMN model within the same model package.
- In the model browser, select the model package in which you want to import the Lean model.
- On the BPMN tab, in the Import group, click LeanCoach.
- In the Select Lean model window, select the model to be imported, and click OK.
A new BPMN model containing the imported Lean data is added to the model package. The Messages window shows the details of the import process.