The Business Model Canvas offers the possibility to design, assess and visualize the business model of an organization. In this view, the business model can be designed with the help of nine categories (blocks):
- Key partners: The group of suppliers and partners that enable the organization to create and deliver the Value proposition (block Partners).
- Key activities: The activities that an organization needs to perform in order to create and deliver the Value proposition (block Activities).
- Key resources: The assets that are required to realize the Value propositions (block Resources).
- Value proposition: The bundle of products and services that offer value to a specific Customer segment (block Value).
- Customer relationships: The kinds of relationships an organization establishes with specific Customer segments (block Relations).
- Channels: The way an organization communicates with and reaches its Customer segment in order to deliver the Value proposition they desire (block Channels).
- Customer segments: The groups of people or organizations that an organization aims to reach and serve (block Customers).
- Cost structure: The costs incurred while creating and delivering the Value proposition to the Customer segments (block Costs).
- Revenue streams: The amount of money an organization generates from each Customer segment by delivering the Value proposition (block Revenues).
The metrics you add to the Business Model Canvas will only be associated with the graphical objects in this view, not with the semantical objects. Therefor, the metrics will not be present on the same objects when used elsewhere in the model, unless you add the metrics there as well. But be aware when you do, there will be no connection between them; changing the value of a metric on an object in the Business Model Canvas will not change the value in the same metric on the object elsewhere, and vice versa.
- In your ArchiMate model in the model browser, right-click the folder in which you want to add the Business Model Canvas, and then click New > Business model > Business Model Canvas.
- Click the newly added view in the model browser to open it. A Business Model Canvas with empty blocks is shown.
Define the subject of your analysis. Open the canvas menu, click to open the Properties window, and in Subject, select the element that represents your subject of analysis. It can be any element from your model.
Fill the Business Model Canvas by adding elements to the different blocks. Create new elements in the blocks or drag existing elements from the model browser onto the blocks. The type of elements that can be added depends on the category.
You can add a description to elements by selecting an element, clicking , and adding the description in the window that pops up.
- Score the elements with a metric. The data can be used for analysis goals.
- Open the canvas menu, and click
, and select a metric. Repeat this for each metric you want to score elements on.
- Add values to the relevant elements, and close the window when you are ready.
- Open the canvas menu, and click
The result is a filled Business Model Canvas with metric data that can be used for analyses, for example in color views.
If you wish you can make changes to the Business Model Canvas presentation by changing the color of the category blocks and the way the elements look. For more information, see Changing the presentation of a strategy or business model view.
After modeling the Business Model Canvas, stress tests can be performed for analyzing.