The PESTEL analysis view offers the possibility to monitor and analyze an organization's macro-environment in order to identify potential opportunities and threats, based on several categories. The PESTEL analysis has several variations, based on the kinds of categories that are used to assess the environment:
- PEST analysis: 2x2 matrix containing the Political, Economic, Sociocultural and Technological categories.
- PESTEL analysis: 3x2 matrix containing the Political, Economic, Sociocultural, Technological, Environmental and Legal categories.
- PESTELEDE analysis: 3x3 matrix containing the Political, Economic, Sociocultural, Technological, Environmental, Legal, Ecological, Demographic, and Ethical categories.
The metrics you add to the PESTEL analysis will only be associated with the graphical objects in this view, not with the semantical objects. Therefor, the metrics will not be present on the same objects when used elsewhere in the model, unless you add the metrics there as well. But be aware when you do, there will be no connection between them; changing the value of a metric on an object in the PESTEL analysis will not change the value in the same metric on the object elsewhere, and vice versa.
- In your ArchiMate model in the model browser, right-click the folder in which you want to add the PESTEL analysis, and then click New > Strategy > PESTEL analysis.
- Click the newly added view in the model browser to open it. A PESTEL analysis view with empty blocks is shown.
- Set the layout for your analysis. By default, the analysis is set to PESTEL (6 categories). If you prefer to use PEST (4 categories) or PESTELEDE (9 categories), open the canvas menu
Define the subject of your analysis. Open the canvas menu, click to open the Properties window, and in Subject, select the element that represents your subject of analysis. It can be any element from your model.
Fill the analysis view by adding Assessment elements to the different blocks. Create new elements in the blocks on the view, or drag existing elements from the model browser onto the blocks.
You can add a description to elements by selecting an element, clicking , and adding the description in the window that pops up.
- Score the elements with a metric. The data can be used for analysis goals.
Open the canvas menu and click
to open the metrics form. A list is shown of all elements in the view.
Click Repeat this for each metric you want to score elements on.
, and select a metric.
Add values to the relevant elements, and close the window when you are ready.
The result is a filled PESTEL, PEST or PESTELEDE analysis with metric data that can be used for analyses, for example in color views .
If you wish you can make changes to the presentation by changing the color of the category blocks and the way the elements look. For more information, see Changing the presentation of a strategy or business model view.