The SWOT analysis offers the possibility to evaluate the internal strengths and weaknesses (resources and capabilities that enable or hinder the design and implementation of strategies) of an organization, as well as its external opportunities and threats (areas which enable or hinder organizational performance).
In the TOWS matrix mode of the SWOT analysis view, you can design strategies aimed at exploiting the organization's opportunities (O) and strengths (S), while neutralizing their threats (T) and improving their weaknesses (W):
- WT strategy: minimize both weaknesses and threats in order to fight for survival.
- WO strategy: minimize weaknesses in order to be able to take advantage of new opportunities.
- ST strategy: maximize strengths in order to be able to deal with threats.
- SO strategy: maximize strengths, utilizing resources to take advantage of new opportunities.
The SWOT analysis is one of the strategy views for ArchiMate® modeling and makes use of specific ArchiMate concepts.
The metrics you add to the SWOT analysis will only be associated with the graphical objects in this view, not with the semantical objects. Therefor, the metrics will not be present on the same objects when used elsewhere in the model, unless you add the metrics there as well. But be aware when you do, there will be no connection between them; changing the value of a metric on an object in the SWOT analysis will not change the value in the same metric on the object elsewhere, and vice versa.
- In your ArchiMate model in the model browser, right-click the folder in which you want to add the SWOT analysis, and then click New > Strategy > SWOT analysis.
- Click the newly added view in the model browser to open it. A SWOT analysis view with empty blocks is shown.
- Set the layout for your analysis. By default, the analysis is set to SWOT. If you prefer to use the TOWS matrix mode, open the canvas view
, click , and then click .
- Define the subject of your analysis. Open the canvas menu, click
to open the Properties view, and in Subject, select the element that represents your subject of analysis. It can be any element from your model.
Fill the analysis view by adding Assessment elements to the different categories. If you are working in the TOWS mode, also add Course of action elements to the strategy blocks. Create new elements in the blocks on the view, or drag existing elements from the model browser onto the blocks.
You can add a description to elements by selecting an element, clicking , and adding the description in the window that pops up.
- Score the elements with a metric. The data can be used for analysis goals.
- Open the canvas menu
and click to open the metrics form. A list is shown of all elements in the view.
, and select a metric. Repeat this for each metric you want to score elements on.
- Add values to the relevant elements, and close the window when you are ready.
- Open the canvas menu
The result is a filled SWOT or TOWS analysis with metric data that can be used for analyses, for example in color views.
If you wish you can make changes to the analysis presentation by changing the color of the category blocks and the way the elements look. For more information, see Changing the presentation of a strategy or business model view.